Players in Attendance: Chris Rocco (Pendrynn Hamut), Jason Jurisch (Froimos), Dustin Haugen (Barack Tenderfoot), Jason Alway, (Kurok Stonehammer),Greg Sallee (Davros), Erik Rehpohl (Kailithe Solace Guard)
Recap: The party after having successfully returned to the material plane and completed the Elder Council’s challenge have been promoted to the rank of “Hunters of Blackfield.”
Bahmsday, the 9th of Aelril — In the Elder Council chambers of the Town Hall.
- Davros handed off the translated (from Abyssal symbols) communique between the Marsh Wizard and the unnamed other party regarding strategic intelligence in the midlands. Detailed descriptions of the economic interactions between the major civilization centers, geographic landmarks, etc.. This marks the first time the party has heard about:
- Arborio — An elven settlement to the north of Port Flume, across the River Anwar.
- Rockhome — A dwarven fortress carved into the cliffs along the River Anwar, northwest of Port Flume.
- Sumacha — Coastal trading city located where the River Anwar spills into the Mer.
- The party takes advantage of access to the Honor Guard Armory. Crowley Brandham, the guard captain’s aged squire is also the minder of the armory and explained its intended nature. “Distinguished soldiers of Blackfield’s past upon retirement or passing contributed their arms and armor to lend aid for their brethren yet to come. The Armory’s motto is ‘Take One, Leave One, Pass it On’.” The armory is split into two stockpiles: Consumables and Artifacts. The party is allowed to swap one of their magical implements in exchange for an artifact after each major mission they complete for the Elder Council. The party is also allowed to withdraw up to 2 consumables during each of these visits as well. It seems that Crowley would also appreciate the donation of any other magical implements to the Honor Guard Armory.
- Elder Worthwords hands off a package of papers to Pendrynn in a small satchel.
- The party splits up:
- All but Pendrynn head towards Findings. There they hand-off the last of the rider boxes discovered in Balthazar Grandy’s laboratory. Tristan identifies it as an advanced design from the ones the party had previously delivered to him.
- The party inquired about a means to disguise “something” for a significant period of time. Tristan pulled a small tube from a shelf laden with potions. “The imbiber of this will have their facial features morphed to an unrecognizable degree for the span of a day. Drink the entire amount or else it’s won’t work properly.”
- Pendrynn headed to his mothers house, and checked on the status of his comatose grandfather. Brogan continues in his catatonic state, not reacting to his grandson’s healing hands, nor the imploring words to Erathis seeking strength in battle for his heirloom blade.
- Kailithe and Davros worked on carving glyphs in the party chest and preparing it for mounting Davros’ dragon tooth dagger. (For use in future ritual summoning)
- After that, Barack, Kailithe and Froimos visit Barack’s orphan boys.
- Kailithe teaches the group about basic hygiene and buys them some water barrels, bedrolls and candles for light.
- Barack hands to Toad his excess chain shirt and two daggers. Toad waves in the direction of an abnormally large youth guarding their meager stash (approx 25gp) “Maybe Clumpy can wear it”.
- The remaining members of the cohort headed out to Sooties, seeking the least social Dig Prospector to lead them in search of the remains of the long buried Orcish Settlement. The settled on a disheveled, heavily bearded and highly intoxicated creature who answers to the name Blodwin. For 10 gold, Blodwin will take the party into the dig to wherever they wish to go, no questions asked.
Pelsday, the 10th of Aelril — Morning — The final day of lodging in their militia barracks.
- Barack splits from the party for the day in order to share his “shady” contacts with Toad. They bounce from black marketeer to professional gambler and finally to Desand, fellow scout trainee, member of Raven Cohort and and longtime prank-rival of Barack. Through a subtle combination of coercion and bribery, Barack manages to convince Desand to aid the orphans by teaching them some functional “scout” skills.
- The remaining members of the Dragonslayers headed out of town to explore the local wilds to the Southwest of Blackfield, before their planned meet-up with the Orc Warlord.
- While exploring the rolling hills, large flying creatures could be seen fluttering amid tall cliffs to the south, where the lowlands become more clumped up in the face of the nigh-impenetrable mountain range barely visible in the distance.
- The party can see what looks to be 2 humanoids (one tall, one short) nearly 2 miles away heading in a general westerly direction and adopt a trajectory to intercept.
An excerpt from the diary of Brother Silverleaf, 12th degree Ascetic of the Order of the Hundred Brothers
The morning found us nestled into an abandoned warren, probably of a small burrowing animal, perhaps a badger or hedgehog. It’s logical to assume that the previous occupants were predated upon by the Griffon flock, rooked on the ridges above.
Fillian continues to grow in confidence as he learns more about the wildlife that surround us. His youthful exuberance is difficult to channel as of late, the boy should receive extra meditation classes with Brother Greenspears upon our return. Also, he continues to snore in his sleep, despite the breathing exercises we have been working on; dangerous in the wilds to be sure, we must continue to focus on that need in the future.
We spent the afternoon observing the interaction of the Greyridge Griffon flock. They seem to be stocking up on local prey in advance of a possible migration. The new hatchlings must be approaching maturity and their first flights. Flocklord Grazzard seeems to be flying with a noticeable injury to one of his wings, it’s possible that one of the younger Griffs challenged him? Three of the younger rooks weren’t observed today, perhaps he’s ejected them from the flock after a failed attempt to usurp the flock.
It was late afternoon when on our return we observed the black plume of Blackfield to the north. Fillian was first to identify our pursuers, a heavily armed group of Blackfield militia.
After if became clear that were were definitely being tailed, I found a hiding spot for Filian and confronted our visitors. Interacted peaceably, but in a confrontational interrogation style. Despite my indications that I wasn’t a threat to them or their city, one of the band (a fully-plated warrior) was unruly in typical Blackfielder style, threatening me with physical violence unless I left the area immediately. His movements belied his inexperience, I did emply my quarterstaff in such a way as to disarm him without causing any physical harm, however, it didn’t diffuse the situation despite the demonstration of superior martial skill. Note: As other run-ins we’ve had with the Blackfield militia, they continue to alienate outsiders under the guise of civic duty. Surely they must see that they’re making no friends with these overtures? We must look into this further, perhaps sending a brother to the town to communicate this observation??
Other members of the party deflated the confrontation and called off their search for Fillian. Once the Blackfielders departed, I collected Fillian and continued our return trip. The remainder of the trip was uneventful aside from a quick detour to investigate an abandoned hunting blind. Based on the blood trails and lack of tracks away from the site seem to indicate that the hunters may have been” “collected” by the griffons. Make a note for our records, this area may be an unsafe griffon feeding ground until their migration.
Morsday, the 11th of Aelril — Late Evening — The Tailings Piles outside the Southern Gates
- The party walked all night to meet with Garok, who was waiting for them, hidden in the tall refuse piles.
- After sharing their plans with Garok, they handed off the potion and asked him to drink it. Garok questioned the lack of an exit strategy for their plan, but was goaded into drinking it by Kurok, who smartly questioned his courage. Immediatel after imbibing the brownish potion, Garok’s raven hair turned a dirty blonde, his skin lightened and his face melted to that of a slightly less orcish (yet oddly ugly by human standars) countenance.
- “You didn’t happen to see a bride for a hill giant have you?” they asked Garok, he just stared blankly back.
- The party managed to enter through the southern gate,met up with Blodwin in the dig upper grounds and made their way into the main shaft via Elevator 1.
- The party had questioned Garok regarding the location of the underground ruins.
- History (Kailithe and Davros) — The Tribes used to live in caves that were accessible from natural entrances above ground (so aren’t probably too deep). Around 100 feet or so down is most likely.
- Perception (Barack) — He noticed a few cave entrances with very distinct soot lines near the ceiling, possibly indicitive of long term cookfire use. Something Garok confirmed was indeed a part of their style of living.
- Dungeoneering (Kurock) -
Kailithe began his ritual to summon the hand of fate. They asked it 3 questions, that it had to anwer to the best of it’s ability:
- Where is the crown? (Pointed town and at an angle)
- How far away is it? (The hand closed, then held up two fingers, then four fingers, then zero fingers.)
- Whats the most direct route to it that we can use? (The hand pointed back to the main shaft.)
- Barack attempted to jump over to another cavern, fell, but was saved by his magical slippers, which teleported him to safety.